Re: set-current-module broken in current Guile CVS version (anyone?)

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: set-current-module broken in current Guile CVS version (anyone?)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 18:48:43 +0100 (MET)

On 7 Feb 2001, Matthias Koeppe wrote:

> Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have a patch for you.
>
> The patch seems to work fine for me, thanks.  And thank you for all
> the explanations.

You are very welcome, and thanks a lot to you for providing such valuable
bug reports.

However, the patch fixes some problems, but it is not a perfect solution
yet.  Marius' suggested fix, namely to make 'begin' behave as required by
R5RS is certainly the better way to go, and would render my patch
unnecessary.  For example, with my patch there are still some
discrepancies between define and define-public with the current
implementation of 'begin'...

> So at least `define' works again.  But still we need a way to change
> the repl's idea of the current module.  Does the idea of having two
> versions of eval (one for the repl, updating it idea of the current
> module from the current module at the end of the evaluation) work out?

I think that we all agree now that Marius' approach should be taken.
And, then, yes, we would have two versions of eval.  Which, in turn, would
mean that the repl could (and will) be made working again.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann