Re: Scheme file docstring format

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Scheme file docstring format
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:45:16 +0100

> From: "Dale P. Smith" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:04:26 -0500
>
> Neil Jerram wrote:
> >
> > OK, I'd like to propose a format for Scheme file docstrings, and also
> > the rule for how the snarfer finds these docstrings.
>
> While the docstrings system is being looked at, I'd like to voice a wish
> of mine.
>
> I'd like add-on packages to have docstrings integrated with the rest of
> guile.  So when you "(use-modules (whatever youwant)" you get online
> documentation for whatever youwant.

Neil already suggested to store docstring files similar to Scheme
modules in a directory structure which resembles the module names
(which is a good idea IMHO).

I can't find it in the archive right now, but it was something like
the following [please correct me if I'm wrong]:

Example for module (foo bar):

Scheme source in file `foo/bar.scm'.
Docstrings: `foo/bar-docstrings.txt'.

The docstring lookup procedure could then figure out in which module
an identifier is defined and load documentation from the corresponding
docstring file.

Regards,
  'martin
--