Re: binary interface

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: binary interface
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:44:15 -0500

At Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:19:01 +0100 (MET),
Dirk Herrmann wrote:

> Actually, no.  It shows a solution for the problem that we have already
> solved, namely how to store/restore a _single_ structure.  However, since
> we know how to correctly restore a single struture, a workaround for the
> moment can be to put all objects that are to be binary-written into an
> array, and then write this array.  It may be that this is the only
> solution for the problem that makes sense - look at the following example:

In this case, all objects are actually written when you close the port,
right?  But if you want to copy objects using a network port, that is
probably not what you want. (Or maybe we shouldn't use a network port.)

>   (define foo (cons 'a 'b))
>   (binary-write foo <some-port>)
>   (set-car! foo 'c)
>   (binary-write foo <some-port>)

Probably situations like this shouldn't be guaranteed.  Otherwise,
a restricted interface like (dump OBJ FILENAME) might be better.

Kei