Re: guile-vm 0.4

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: guile-vm 0.4
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:23:22 -0400

At 11 Apr 2001 18:29:38 -0500,
Rob Browning wrote:

> So a if I (load/compile "foo.scm"), what happens if foo.scm calls
> (require 'bar) or (load "baz.scm")?  Will the vm try and byte compile
> those files as well?

(require 'bar) will compile the file, but (load "baz.scm") won't.
All the VM does is to call procedures.  My version of `require' and
`load/compile' compiles files, while the standard `load' does not.

These procedures are all temporary hacks.  We will need to discuss
better interfaces some time later.

> or whatever.  I can imagine times when I might not really want to
> write the .go files, and I wouldn't mind the increased load times.

Maybe we should prepare a compiler command (`guilec' or something)
and do not try to write .go files automatically?

>   (1) When trying out the vm, users (i.e. me :>) may want only some of
>       the files to be byte-compiled.  If nothing else, the vm might
>       not be ready to handle some of the files (macros, etc.), and
>       requiring the user to re-structure the code so that none of the
>       vm compiled files load any sub-files that contain macros,
>       etc. is a little inconvenient during incremental adoption.

I'll support macros soon, if you want.  What syntax do you use?
(defmacro, define-macro, define-syntax, etc.)

Keisuke