Re: Should we move/copy/symlink ice-9/srfi-8.scm to srfi/srfi-8.scm?

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Should we move/copy/symlink ice-9/srfi-8.scm to srfi/srfi-8.scm?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 06:27:43 +0200

> From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
> Date: 23 Apr 2001 17:53:17 -0500
>
> Now that we have a srfi directory, it seems like we should make
>
>   (use-modules (srfi srfi-8))
>
> work.  To do this, we could either
>
>   - copy the contents of ice-9/srfi-8.scm to srfi/
>   - symlink srfi/srfi-8.scm to ice-9/receive.scm or ice-9/srfi-8.scm
>   - move ice-9/srfi-8.scm to srfi/
>
> Thoughts?

Has (srfi srfi-8) been in Guile 1.4?  If not, I'd say we should move
it, if yes, we should copy or symlink it.  But maybe it would be
better to keep two copies (the module is not difficult to maintain),
and make the version in ice-9 issue a `deprecated' warning.

As Mikael already has pointed out, the use of ice-9 as a catch--all is
a bit ad hoc. `srfi' is a much more logical place to store SRFI stuff.

Regards,
  'martin