Re: Is gentemp or gensym "safe"?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Is gentemp or gensym "safe"?
Date: 25 Apr 2001 11:10:59 -0500

Michael Livshin <address@hidden> writes:

> it's even simpler: CL gensym generates unreadable symbols, so there's
> simply no way you can use such a symbol in a program.

So if it were even possible to do such a thing in guile, it would have
to be done using symbols that are illegal reader syntax, but that the
evaluator could handle (or similar).  Hmm.

> I'd rather we figured a way to make the hygienic macro stuff fast
> enough...

Though what's the final word on that front.  Aren't there still cases
you can't handle with the hygenic stuff, where you'd still need
define-macro?  If so, then if we can, it'd be nice to support both.

> common problem, it seems.  but it does implement the regular
> `syntax-rules' thingy from R5RS.

That's what I meant (I keep getting the names confused).  Does anyone
know of a good overview of syntax-rules?  While I'm plowing through
the r5rs definition now, it'd be nice to have an alternate source of
info as well.