Re: compiler hints

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: compiler hints
Date: 11 Jun 2001 17:53:52 -0500

"Dale P. Smith" <address@hidden> writes:

> Wouldn't it be great if there were well-defined hooks at parse time and
> code generation time that you could attach scheme code for whatever you
> wanted?  You could build databases that you could do all kinds of
> queries against.  Where is this variable assigned to?  Does this file
> use any definitions from header foo.h at all?  What classes inherit from
> this class?  Who calls this function (including calls through a
> pointer)?

And further, it might also be interesting to be able to use gcc on the
fly, so you could say gcc_eval(code) and get back a function pointer
or similar.  I've seen something about a libgcc floating around.  I
wonder if/how that relates.

But yes, I've thought many times that hooks in gcc for taking actions
during/after compilation would be really useful.  Writing a c/c++
parser is hard enough that it should be done as rarely as possible
IMO.