Re: Guile 1.6 branch created (please read).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Guile 1.6 branch created (please read).
Date: 09 Jul 2001 07:05:39 -0500

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

>    Working with the stable branch:
>    --------------------------------
>    I'll presume you already have a tree checked out.  If so, from within
>    the working directory you should run the command
>
>      cvs -z3 update -r branch_release-1-6 -Pd
>      cvs -z3 update -A -Pd

(Lest anyone be confused, those two commands should probably not
 normally go together, and they're definitely not what I recommended
 for the stable branch (I hope)...)

> here's what i do to avoid horrible confusion:
>
> cd .../guile-core
> cd ..
> mkdir tmp
> tar cf - guile-core | (cd tmp ; tar xf -)
> mv tmp/guile-core guile-core-1.6
> rmdir tmp
> cd guile-core-1.6
> cvs update -r branch_release-1-6 -Pd

Right.  Other than you using tar and me using cp -a, this is almost
exactly what I was suggesting, but everyone should note that this
works fine as long as you don't have a top level guile cvs checkout
that includes guile-core *and* all the modules that you want update
from the top via one giant cvs update -Pd every now and then.

FWIW I have just such a complete checkout tree so that I can keep
track of any new modules that pop up, but I also keep ./guile/core-1.5
and ./guile/core-unstable elsewhere (outside that "clean tree") where
I do my normal work.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu