Re: problems building stable branch

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: problems building stable branch
Date: 10 Jul 2001 16:22:11 +0300

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> > > 13:29:00 appel ~/usr/src/guile/guile-core$ ./
> > > autoheader2.50: libguile/ is unchanged
> > > automake: no `' found or specified
> > > guile-readline...
> > > automake: no `' found or specified
> >
> > do you really not have in ~/usr/src/guile/guile-core ?
> But I do have a ~/usr/src/guile/guile-core/  Only when I
> do
>      automake Makefile
> it generates Makefile in.  That's why I needed the automake $(find
>  -name ...) command.

whee.  what's your automake version?  does it have problems with
PowerPC in general or something?  weird.

> > what happens when you do a fresh checkout?
> That's what I did:
>     13:27:27 appel ~/usr/src/guile$ cvs -z3 co -r branch_release-1-6
> guile-core
> Still, the ice-9 directory depends on it's own guile, which is bad.

it's not bad at all when it works. ;)

> Also, the -ldl library flag isn't added automatically.

maybe libtool doesn't cope too well with you platform.  hmmm.

[ and I thought -ldl wasn't needed on Linux at all, as the relevant
  functions are in libc.  is that some experimental glibc version? ]

> Btw, I'm running latest debian/unstable (on powerpc).

what can I say?  ouch. ;)

> > --
> > Tools that are no good require more skill.
> :-) Is that a coincidence?

> I still think that automake is a broken concept, I like LilyPond's
> stepmake package a lot better.

I don't think you'll find a lot of automake lovers on this list,
either.  but it gets the job done, usually.

Indentation?! -- I will show you how to indent when I indent your
                                        -- Klingon Programmer