Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).
Date: 18 Jul 2001 12:29:27 -0500

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Hmm.  It appears there isn't a 'traps option to debug-enable.  And
> though my profiler seemed to be working interactively.  I've found
> that it won't work from a script without an enclosing with-traps.

Wow.  It seems like it might be even more restrictive than I thought.
I tried to create a (statprof-profile . code) wrapper that you'd just
have to put around anything you want to profile

  (define-macro (statprof-profile . body)
    `(begin
       (debug-enable 'debug)
       (trap-enable 'traps)
       (with-traps ,@body)))

but that doesn't work.  From some limited testing, it looks like
either debug-enable or trap-enable (haven't tracked down which yet),
have to be run from the top-level to have any effect.

If this is correct, then I guess I'll just need to document that if
you want to use statprof, you have to arrange for these two functions
to be called from the top-level and you have to arrange for the
enclosing with-traps call.

Not as clean as I'd like, but I guess it should work.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu