Re: proposed getitimer and setitimer functions

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: proposed getitimer and setitimer functions
Date: 22 Jul 2001 20:54:14 +0200

Matthias Koeppe <address@hidden> writes:

> Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > SRFI-19 provides an abstract type for time durations, which we could
> > use.  That is, our setitimer could accept both integers as durations,
> > as well as SRFI-19 `time' objects that represent a duration.
> >
> > I'm not sure yet how to do this in the cleanest possible way, given
> > that SRFI-19 is optional.
>
> In which sense is SRFI-19 "optional"?  (It shouldn't.)

Yeah, bad wording.  I meant to say that setitimer will likely be in
the core, while (srfi srfi-19) is a module that can be loaded on
demand.  So the code for setitimer can not use the types defined in
(srfi srfi-19) without loading it, which we might not want to happen
unconditionally.

However, this should not keep us from usinf SRFI-19 for time related
things.  We can put an enhanced version of setitimer in (srfi
srfi-19), for example, or make (srfi srfi-19) overwrite the core
definition when it is loaded.