Re: suggestions for Guile wrt GTK and Gnome support

From: Seth Alves
Subject: Re: suggestions for Guile wrt GTK and Gnome support
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:40:34 -0700

"Neil W. Van Dyke" <address@hidden>:
... some interesting comments skipped ...
> The next thing I'd suggest is a separate tree in the Guile CVS
> repository of Guile support for the evolving GTK 1.3 and later versions
> that are currently part of the Gnome 2.0 CVS.  If the version of GTK in
> the Gnome CVS repository becomes dependent on Gnome, then the GTK could
> be forked and put into the Guile CVS repository, with occasional
> backports from whatever the Gnome people do to their prong of the fork.

I would be very very surprised if gtk ever began to depend on gnome.

> Finally, full Gnome support for Guile would be a good thing.  That could
> be maintained as part of the Gnome CVS repository or Guile's CVS
> repository.  I have a suspicion (and anecdotal experience) that making
> Guile support for GTK 1.2 and 1.3 dependent on a full Gnome environment
> would be problematic, though.  I would therefore like suggest that "GTK
> support for Guile" and "Gnome (including GTK) support for Guile" be
> treated as two separate projects, with the GTK support project
> independent of the Gnome support project.

There is a module called gnome-guile in the gnome/gtk cvs tree.  It
contains the guile-gtk code, and other code that wraps the more stable
parts of gnome.  To build this from cvs, you DO need bits of the gnome
build environment, but these dependencies are simply a convenience for
the maintainer.  Perhaps we could try to convince Ariel to break or
reduce these dependencies?  =) These dependencies only exist if you
are building gnome-guile from cvs.  If you are building with a tar.gz
style release, you don't need any of gnome.  I like gnome-guile.  It
needs some polishing in places, but overall it's very effective.

        -seth