Re: examples and testing

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: examples and testing
Date: 23 Jul 2001 21:01:50 +0200

Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden> writes:

> I have just committed a set of checks and build fixes to CVS stable
> branch, which will build the example programs on `make all' [...]

Hmm, I don't think we should do that.  Building the examples during
"make all" means that they must link against the uninstalled libguile,
which is not what they should demonstrate.

Actually, the examples are what is keeping the `stable' snapshots from
building currently.  The snapshots are configured with a prefix that
doesn't exist and never installed.  This results in the examples being
linked against the system libguile from /usr/lib, which doesn't work.

The examples should not be build on "make all".  The example Makefiles
should not be complicated by linking the example code with the
uninstalled libguile.  They might be build and run on "make
installcheck", using the installed Guile (that is, being careful to
select the right `guile-config' program).

Objections?

> checks in every examples subdirectory on `make check'.  I have tried
> to make sure that everything builds fine even without an installed
> version of Guile (GNU stow is great!),

Hmm, it does not work for me, since a old version of libguile is
picked up accidentally.