Re: readline not activated by default

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: readline not activated by default
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 01:47:26 -0700

   From: Masao Uebayashi <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 17:04:31 +0900

   Is symbol completion also possible in Emacs?  If so, I may not need
   Readline support any more.

i use `dabbrev-expand' a lot.  since emacs scans all buffers (several
dozen for me, typically visiting source, README or Commentary that lists
module interface, and such) in a LRU manner, this works out well.  in
the (rare) case where source is not available, i enter into the repl:

     (apropos "foo")    ; bound to `C-h C-a' in my env

and get a bunch of symbols printed into the buffer, where emacs can find
them on next `dabbrev-expand' invocation.  generally, dabbrev works for
pretty much any text-insertion opportunity (repl, shell, plain text,
change log, html, mail, etc).  the trick is to load up your buffers w/
useful text in the first place, like source.  :->

you may also wish to explore the several guile/emacs integration
initiatives available, some of which are included w/ guile but don't
seem very well supported at the moment.  i suppose it would be a good
idea to try to clean them up by guile-1.8 or so...

thi