Re: ice-9/getopt-long.scm + 1.5.1 please? + time-based 1.5.x?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: ice-9/getopt-long.scm + 1.5.1 please? + time-based 1.5.x?
Date: 02 Aug 2001 20:03:01 +0100

>>>>> "thi" == Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

    thi> i'd like to urge 1.5.1 release soon so that we can get
    thi> feedback for a 1.5.2 and so on.  definitely, i will not be
    thi> doing any more modifications in the immediate future.  fwiw,
    thi> i'm in favor of many 1.5.x releases and a single 1.6.0
    thi> release as opposed to both 1.5.x and 1.6.x series.  the
    thi> latter is confusing to me.

I agree that mixing 1.5.x and 1.6.x is confusing, but I think the
right solution is to stick to 1.6.x for stable releases.

This is consistent with

- README, which says that versions with an odd middle number are
  unstable development versions

- Emacs release numbers

- Linux kernel release numbers.

    thi> for 1.5.x, perhaps we can try a time-based release process.
    thi> this week 1.5.1, next week 1.5.2, etc.  when bug rate /
    thi> severity falls below a certain threshold for several weeks,
    thi> we declare it 1.6.0, and then go back to feature- (or todo-)
    thi> based release instead of time-based.

Time release sounds like an interesting idea for non-critical bugs,
but I think that, if we hit a bug that was critical for some OS, we'd
want to fix that and do a new release immediately.  If we insist on
waiting a week, we just lose the interest of those OS users.