Re: guile 1.5.2 build on ia64

From: stefan
Subject: Re: guile 1.5.2 build on ia64
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 03:57:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> Could you post some of the warnings?
>
> There's been an ongoing problem with guile on the alpha, and while I
> don't know what it is, I suspect some of the bitfiddling we're doing
> may not be being done portably.
>
> We probably need to track this down before we release 1.6.0.
>
> I may have access to an alpha I can debug and test on, if we come up
> with any theories.

I do have access to various Compaq accounts and can test it if needed;
here the warnings from ia64 in detail:

chars.c:287: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
chars.c:298: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
debug.c:561: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
error.c:311: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
gc_os_dep.c:1827: warning: unused variable `result'
gc_os_dep.c:1742: warning: `GC_find_limit' defined but not used
gh_data.c:79: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
gh_data.c:128: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range of
data t
../libguile/num2integral.i.c:92: warning: comparison is always true due to
limit
../libguile/num2integral.i.c:64: warning: comparison is always true due to
limit
../libguile/num2integral.i.c:92: warning: comparison is always true due to
limit
ports.c:898: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
ports.c:1226: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
print.c:975: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
print.c:982: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
rdelim.c:110: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
read.c:351: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
read.c:416: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
read.c:426: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
read.c:446: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
read.c:458: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
strings.c:311: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
strop.c:343: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
strop.c:492: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
struct.c:108: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
struct.c:131: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
struct.c:634: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
struct.c:706: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
vports.c:82: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
unif.c:1154: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
unif.c:1200: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
unif.c:2333: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
unif.c:2338: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size

Some of them are just due to SCM_MAKE_CHAR() which should be no problem...
but I am not too sure about that. I rather see a problem with the garbage
collection: I could also give you the gdb backtrace which was really
weird: I saw changing arguments passed down to functions which do not
apparently change the arguments themselves...

Cheers,
        address@hidden