Re: Systas and Guile

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Systas and Guile
Date: 28 Sep 2001 00:39:16 +0200

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:

> >     3) Begin to formulate a higher-level, longer term plan
> >        for the design and architecture of Guile.
>
> I don't know wether such a thing exists.  This might be worth
> discussion -- but perhaps it is in the archives already?

We have devel/policy/goals.text, which I include here so that you can
read it right away:

-----

This file states the goals of Guile.

* Goals of Guile

Guile is many things to many people.  It has multiple ways to approach
it: as a C library that provides an extension language, as a
programming language in its own right, as a interface to the operating
system, as an interactive shell, as a platform that integrates many
independent subsystems, or as the basis for other languages.

These different roles have a lot in common, but there are also some
opposing forces that need to be balanced.

Not everything of what is outlined below has been realized yet.  The
things that are missing will receive high priority from the
maintainers of Guile.  One thing that is not mentioned below because
it goes without saying is documentation.  It is of course a goal of
Guile to have high quality documentation.