Re: [WORKAROUND] Re: Installing the wrong version of libguilereadline.so

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: [WORKAROUND] Re: Installing the wrong version of libguilereadline.so?
Date: 16 Dec 2001 17:25:06 +0000

    Rob> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >> Well I've found the workaround for this, which is to call
    >> ./configure with the --enable-ltdl-install=yes option.
    >>
    >> So I'm happy that I can build CVS Guile again, but... does this
    >> mean that we need to reconsider the recent change from
    >> convenience to installable libltdl?

    Rob> Hmm, not sure.  What verison of libtool are you using?

address@hidden ~]$ /usr/bin/libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.3.5 (1.385.2.206 2000/05/27 11:12:27)

    Rob> I suspect that we may not be linking libguilereadline against
    Rob> everything it needs, but that's just a guess based on other
    Rob> lt_dlopen load failures I've seen.

Did you see my previous email, where I noted that the installed
libguilereadline seemed to want to link against libguile.so.9, _not_
libguile.so.10?  At least, that was my interpretation of the output
from `objdump -x'.  But perhaps that's not really a problem; and in
any case there could be other problems as well.

    Rob> It could also be that the installed ltdl isn't as smart as
    Rob> the .la files that our build tree copy of libtool is
    Rob> producing.

    Rob> In the end, I still think we need to be using the system
    Rob> libtool whenever it's a suitable version, but I'm wondering
    Rob> if maybe the problem is that we need a better check to see if
    Rob> it's good enough.

That sounds right to me, but I don't know what the better check would
be.

One interesting aspect of this problem, if I'm understanding
correctly, is that users will only see it once.  Because as soon as
you configure with --enable-ltdl-install=yes, you then get a more
modern libtool in /usr/local/bin:

address@hidden ~]$ /usr/local/bin/libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.2 (1.922.2.53 2001/09/11 03:18:52)

So, assuming that /usr/local/bin overrides /usr/bin, you'd never need
--enable-ltdl-install=yes a second time.