Re: What debugger breakpoint features would you like?

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: What debugger breakpoint features would you like?
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 22:08:24 -0500

> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
>
>    From: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
>      - An optional thunk that is called when the breakpoint is hit.
>
> thunk return value could be specified to control flow:
>
>  #<unspecified> -- do the normal thing

No, I veto that.  The result of computing on an unspecified
value is unspecified.  Don't start treating it as if it were
a specifed specific symbol.

>  #f -- go interactive
>  #t -- do step (or whatever)
>  (pk ARGS...) -- emulate `pk' (display ARGS and value after evaluation)
>  (warn TEST MSG . SUBST) -- TEST value (after evaluation),
>                             if true, emit MSG and use SUBST value
>  positive number -- do step multiple times
>  negative number -- do something else
>  etc

Let's skip the cryptic codes and just use symbols that do what
they say:

   #f -- do the normal thing
   'break -- go interactive
   '(display ARGS ...) -- What the fsck is `pk'?
   'step -- do step
   '(step N) -- do N steps
   '(something-else FOO BAR) -- do something else (with parameters)

--
     -- Keith Wright  <address@hidden>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---