Re: api differences between 1.4 and 1.6

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: api differences between 1.4 and 1.6
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:40:15 -0600

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> i'm not on the version planning committee, but you might consider
> jamming 1.5.x starting at 20.x.x to give some room for "migration
> releases" (like a safari).  or not.  coddling users is no fun.

You mean jump the interface number to 20?  I guess we could do that,
but will that work right with respect to libtool and (retroactively)
inserting older updates like 12, 13, 14, etc.?  (See "Libtool's
versioning system" node in libtool info).

Libtool's model looks like it was primarily designed to handle
monotonic increases and doesn't want you to pick the major numbers
directly yourself, so I want to make sure that trying to leave
"headroom" will actually work the way we want it to.  Anyone know
offhand?

> in any case, when we stick w/ sh and scheme we eat our own dogfood (god
> what a world), thus exercising guile and attaining a first level of self
> awareness.

Sounds reasonable to me.

> api docs need only be generated.  writing api docs by hand is so bogus.
> there are places for poetry already: the comments and the commentary.
> [said in a mad max code warrior voice.]

:>

--
Rob Browning