Guile 1.5.6 beta available for testing.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Guile 1.5.6 beta available for testing.
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:24:23 -0600

We are pleased to annouce the availability of Guile 1.5.6 for testing.

The 1.5.X series is a BETA series, intended only for testing, so
please don't put it into a distribution or anything similar.  Once
we've hammered out any serious bugs, we'll make the stable release of

You can find the file here:

If you're interested in testing, please try as much of the following
as is convenient:

  * Remove automake and autoconf from your path, or turn off their
    execute bits, or something.  (Users must be able to build from the
    tarfile without installing those tools.)

  * Configure, "make", "make check", and "make install".  Make sure to
    remove your previous install tree before the "make install".

  * Make sure LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't include anything unnecessary.

  * Run the test suite on the installed version.
        ./check-guile -i [INSTALL_PATH]/bin/guile

  * Look at the install tree (with "find | sort" or similar) and make
    sure nothing seems obviously amiss.

  * Check that the dependencies in guile-readline/Makefile look OK.
    (We currently use a kludge which edits the dependencies generated
    by automake so that Guile can be built in a directory separate
    from the source tree also with non-GNU make programs.)

  * Make sure readline works.

  * You might try the example code in the doc directory.

Rob Browning
rlb,, and