Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)
Date: 22 May 2002 14:52:44 +0200

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

>   (2) make sure all bugs have required headers
>
>       What are the required headers?  i.e. how would this TODO item be
>       satisfied?

I'd say that this is not release critical as it does not affect the
release.

>   (4) bugs/COPYING-is-wrong [rlb]
>
>       Umm, COPYING is now the GPL in CVS.  Perhaps I should fix that :>

Has this been resolved with our private mails?  For everybody to see:

    mvo:

    I don't think we need to change anything about the file COPYING.  It
    is not the license statement of Guile, it is only used as a
    'subroutine' in the actual license statements.  These actual license
    statements are contained in each individual file.

    Here is how the subroutine is invoked:

     * along with this software; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
     * the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330,
     * Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
     *
     * As a special exception, the Free Software Foundation gives permission
     * for additional uses of the text contained in its release of GUILE.

    So technically, we don't need to change COPYING to be watertight.  We
    might consider it anyway to better publicize our license terms.  There
    are prominent sections in the README and the manual that explain the
    license terms of Guile.  Maybe that is not enough?

I'm hesitant to change COPYING as it is a 'standard' file with
identical contents in a lot of packages.