Re: guile/workbook/extension/dynamic-root.text

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: guile/workbook/extension/dynamic-root.text
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:28:04 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> In a stackless implementation, since you can easily have precise GC,
> you can easily have _incremental gc_.

> There is a smooth migration path:  if you start by making `eval' and
> `apply' stackless, you can still provide "backwards compatible"
> interfaces for built-ins that expect a stack-full, conservative-GC
> system.  You can gradually fix such built-ins in the core, and perhaps
> eventually deprecate the compatability interface.

Yes, it also destroys GUILE's biggest asset, and the very purpose of
why GUILE came to be: easy integration with external packages (written
in C)

         SCM
         foo (SCM x)
         {
                x = scm_acons (gh_symbol2scm("bar"), gh_int2scm(1),
         x);
                /*
                        non conservative GC at this point will munge the head
of x.
                */
                x = scm_acons (gh_symbol2scm("baz"), gh_int2scm(2), x);
                return l;
         }

I think this has been discussed before, and I still think that it is a
Bad Idea.

ObGuile:

What's keeping the 1.6 release? Lurking around, I only see lots of
discussion on tiny details that could just as well be fixed in a 1.6.1
`bugfix' release.  I would really like to require GUILE 1.6 for
Lilypond 1.6 (which is to be released in a few months)