Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:21:22 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> As i said before, this is not going to work if guile's intent is being
> used as an embedeable scripting language. If i install libguile9 and
> libguile-dev on Debian i simply don't _get_ the source files. Requesting
> users of type 2 (programmers who embed guile in their application) to
> always scan the sources (and do that regulary) doesn't seem to be a valid
> solution.

As long as we make sure that all libs and headers are covered by the
exception, and that linking an app against Guile really does mean that
the exception applies across the board, and we mention this clearly in
LICENSE, I would think we'd be fine.  Of course we also have to make
sure that the "official" text in the source files matches what LICENSE
says.

IANAL, but it has been my impression that legally speaking, it may be
what's in each individual source file that actually matters.  i.e. it
might not matter whether or not we want LICENSE to be comprehensive
and official because that may not be how copyright law actually works.
Dunno, but as long as LICENSE and the actual files agree, we don't
have to worry about it.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu