Re: Threads and asyncs

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Threads and asyncs
Date: 02 Sep 2002 23:53:23 +0200

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

>       > I would like to specify explicitely that marking a system-async will
>       > run its thunk in the thread that did the marking.
>

> Why can't that be layered?

Hmm, I don't see the need.

> In other words, start with thread-independent asyncs (which have the
> virtue of simplicity and speed) [...]

I don't think they are simpler or faster.

> Is there no use for thread-independent system-asyncs?

I can't think of any, right now.  The question is not whether to
execute a async in a thread or not, the question is only, in which
thread.  A thread-independent wouldn't care in what thread it is
executed so it is OK to run it in the thread that has marked it.