GC & threads (was: Thread interface issues)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: GC & threads (was: Thread interface issues)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:37:23 +0100

address@hidden writes:
>[threads]

This reminds me: there is a huge bottleneck. .. (Well actually, I
didn't measure it, but it's my hunch anyway... let me call it
inelegancy instead), in the current GC code. SCM cells are processed
nicely in page sized chunks. Unfortunately, almost every object except
for cells require malloc() calls during allocation, and free() calls
during the sweep. For small objects, I would guess that the double
memory administration of free memory has a sizable overhead. Second,
if two threads alloc arrays or strings concurrently, there will be a
lot of wasted mutexing going on.

Any thoughts... is this a real problem?

(I'm too busy right now for any Real Work on GUILE, Sorry.)

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen