Re: bug in syncase

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: bug in syncase
Date: 17 Nov 2002 10:54:37 +0000

    Marius> I can't say right now how to fix this, but in general, I
    Marius> think the whole syntax transformer business needs to be
    Marius> redone for a separate memoizer/compiler pass.  That is, it
    Marius> is OK when your new evaluator breaks the existing syncase
    Marius> and this is not easily fixed.  We need to find a fix
    Marius> eventually, but that fix should also remove the kluginess
    Marius> of the current situation completely.

OK in principle, but how long will "eventually" be?

I suggest that this work be code-managed such that we can still
release a 1.8 series with syncase working and _before_ redoing syntax
transformation.

More positively, perhaps this memoization/evaluation separation,
redoing syntax transformation, support for compilation and storage of
memoized code etc. is such a big improvement that we could call its
first release Guile 2.0.

That would be great. But I really want to see a 1.8.x series first.