Re: C level threads...

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: C level threads...
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 13:57:46 +0100

OK, a final rant about the new thread API:

I think the names scm_key_setspecific and scm_key_getspecific are
misleading.  The sound like they are operations which operate on keys,
but they are not!  scm_key_create should be named so because it
creates a key.  However, current scm_key_getspecific gets thread
specific *data*.  It gets something *using* a key, but it's the thread
data which is the central thing.  This is why we have the names
pthread_key_create but pthread_getspecific.

Even if I didn't find the pthread library names more intuitive, I'd
still think it's a better idea to conform to them.  Creating slightly
different names only creates confusion.

Mikael