Re: wrong-type-arg in scm_display_backtrace

From: William Morgan
Subject: Re: wrong-type-arg in scm_display_backtrace
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:38:47 -0500

Excerpts (reformatted) from Neil Jerram's mail of  8 Jan 2003 (EST):
> Are you running with the debugging evaluator?

Ah hah! This was the key. In my invocation of scm_init_guile(), I write:

  scm_init_guile();
  SCM_DEVAL_P = 1;
  SCM_BACKTRACE_P = 1;
  SCM_RECORD_POSITIONS_P = 1;
  SCM_RESET_DEBUG_MODE;

and now I have backtraces. Yes!!! Now, I just have to figure out how to use
vports to steal the backtrace dump and put it somewhere intelligent...

Having finally succeeded, I have a couple comments:

1) The commands above are wicked voodoo that should be encapsulated in
   some kind of scm_enable_debugging() library call. There's no way I,
   as the application developer, should be playing with these variables
   directly.

2) This whole process has been unnecessarily difficult, considering that
   I am doing *only* and *exactly* what anyone who wants to embed Guile
   in their program must do (run Guile callbacks, catch errors, display
   errors nicely).

Issue #2, at least, is mostly a matter of lack of documentation. I
promise to write up a "how to embed Guile in your C program" document
and post it here.

Thank you, Neil, for all of your help.

--
William <address@hidden>