Re: Release now?

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: Release now?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:21:38 +0100

"Dale P. Smith" <address@hidden> writes:

> Doesn't 1.8 remove the gh_* interface?

I propose that it doesn't do more than what has been achieved after
the GMP and signal handling has been added.  The major additions will
then be: GMP, POSIX threads and resizing hash tables.

> Shouldn't there be some time for extension and application writers
> to move to 1.6 before 1.8?

If we release 1.8 now, the non-deprecated API will have had only
cosmetic changes, so it wouldn't be a significant extra burden for
those who have adapted to the non-deprecated API of 1.6.

Besides, the signal handling will likely take some time to complete.
If we then initiate the release process, chances are that the release
won't happen until summer, so 1.6 will have at least half a year of
"life".  So, "now" means "in half a year".  But if we don't start to
plan for it now, it will be longer...