Re: Everyone working on the C side might want to read this article...

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: Everyone working on the C side might want to read this article...
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:33:29 -0400

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:00:22 -0500
Rob Browning <address@hidden> wrote:

> The following article explains gcc changes that may be behind at least
> some of our recent set of bugs:
>
>   http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=880/ddj0010d/0010d.htm
>
> You may not need to read it if you're already familiar with what the C
> standard says about type aliasing, or already know that (for example)
> according to the standard this code is illegal and the results are
> undefined:

[ code examples ]

> Thanks to Marius for tracking the pointer down.  I'm not yet sure what
> this means for our code.

Some time ago, some effort was put into guile to use unions and structs
as the type for SCM to provide much more robust type checking from the
compiler.  Unfortunately, that code is almost worthless except for
debugging because of the way structs are returned, iirc.

Does this situation change at all with gcc >= 3 and the new c99 standard?

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
Senior Systems Consultant,      | Treasurer,