Re: future thread interface

From: Christopher Cramer
Subject: Re: future thread interface
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:57:29 -0500

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:27:07PM +0200, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> In my view, the goal is to avoid to have to chose.  That is, Guile
> should be written against the POSIX pthread API only.  When people
> have a need for a non-standard threading implementation, that
> implementation should offer the pthread API and Guile can then use it
> transparently.

This is a surprising answer, since the code is clearly not written to
only use the pthread API. I suppose the goal has changed, and the code
doesn't reflect that yet.

Does that mean scm_internal_select will be eliminated?

> This depends on what you mean exactly with "coop" threads.  The coop
> thread package based on QuickThreads has already been removed from
> 1.7.

So it's not coming back? The only other mention of this I could find was
a ChangeLog entry saying 'Support for "coop" threads has been removed
until I get time to add it again.'

--
Christopher Cramer <address@hidden> <http://www.pyro.net/~crayc/>
"People said it couldn't be that our soldiers would do such things. Now