Re: Interested in working on a parser generator

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Interested in working on a parser generator
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 18:26:46 -0500

John Stracke wrote:
The FSF's help-wanted page says that a parser generator that generates
Scheme would be a welcome utility, for creating Foo-->Scheme
translators.  I'd be interested in working on such a project; is anybody
working on one already?

    I wrote the core of a scanner generator this weekend that I could
donate.  It produces a DFA as a big letrec with tail-recursive functions
for the states.
    Plus it allows you to insert actions with arbitrary scheme code and gives
you
access to the fail and success continuations, even after conversion
to a dfa (though it does mean the search is breadth-first instead
of depth-first, so you would have to keep track of things with that
in mind).
    It doesn't have much in the way of error-handling, and contains
some Chezisms (generic ports and record-case).  Also, it only handles
pre-parsed regular expressions.
    Still, I'm pretty stoked about it.  What do I need to do to submit it?

    I also have some macros to convert a (pre-parsed) regular expression
to a big closure that just does backtracking, if that's of any interest.

Lynn