shared substring as scm_tc7_string opinion

From: Roland Orre
Subject: shared substring as scm_tc7_string opinion
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:36:09 +0100

Dear Kevin and Dirk,
As I understand you are the developers responsible for shared
substrings.

I'm writing to you directly because the guile lists seems to be down
at the moment (or are the lists moderated?).

I have problems as I'm trying to adapt to guile 1.7 but I found tonight
that make-shared-substring and tag scm_tc7_substring have been removed.

Shared substrings are so fundamental so it is not possible to replace
them with a trivial program change.

To be able to continue with guile 1.7 at all, until the new promised
shared substrings are available I have to do something. The easiest
way as I see it is to implement make-shared-substring as returning
an scm_tc7_string which I do scm_gc_protect_object on until I'm
ready with them and then can explicitly deallocate them. I need to do
this today and would be glad for a quick opinion about this.

        Best regards
        Roland Orre