Re: gethostname max len

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: gethostname max len
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:48:35 +1000

"Nelson H. F. Beebe" <address@hidden> writes:

> One correspondent suggested using PATH_MAX.

Not quite, I think the topic drifted.  PATH_MAX is of course unrelated
to gethostname.

> (1) There has been great historic variability in the name of the
>     parameter that holds the size of the longest possible path; see
>     below.

I don't think there's many places depending on path length.  getcwd
for instance has a malloc strategy.

The readdir_r I'm proposing will depend on NAME_MAX, but it follows
what the glibc manual says, so it can't be all bad.

The alternative to readdir_r is a mutex to protect the DIR.  A single
global mutex might hurt parallelism though, if readdir goes away for a
longish time talking NFS or whatever.