Re: gettext-0.14.2 is released

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: gettext-0.14.2 is released
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:06:42 +1100

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> writes:

>   - For guile, the code and doc regarding FORMAT in SLIB are not relevant
>     any more?

Oh, well, if it's withdrawn from slib then there's nothing for guile
to stay compatible with.

>   - The guile FORMAT attempts to be an extension of Common Lisp FORMAT,
>     i.e. that all CL format directives are supported without changes
>     (except when documented otherwise, such as ~_)?

Yes, basically, I think.  There's some things missing though, like ~< ~>.

>   - Differences in behaviour between a valid CL format string and the
>     same string in guile (except when documented otherwise) are bugs in
>     format.scm that I should report?

Yep.  I think there's some doubtful treatment of digits in some of the
floating point output, that's the sort of thing that really ought to
be the same as CL.

>   - The reference to which I can point translators is the node
>     "Formatted Output" in the guile documentation?

For guile, yes.  What other schemes are doing is another matter.

srfi-28 and srfi-48 specify versions of format too.  In the latter ~t
is different, and ~h is an addition.