Re: Should we distribute libltdl?

From: rm
Subject: Re: Should we distribute libltdl?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:45:05 +0100

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 09:13:48AM -0800, Bruce Korb wrote:
> Hi Marius,
>
> Marius Vollmer wrote:
>
> > Yes, but I think Guile is very reasonable with its "bunch of other
> > stuff".  It only really requires libgmp and libltdl.  The versions of
> > these that are in the mainstream distributions should suffice.
>
> The mainstream distributions "of Linux" :).  My world is about 1/4 Linux
> and doesn't Guile's "u" stand for "ubiquitous"?  ;-)

Ynd right you are :-) There's GNU outside of Linux ....

> > Also, the question right is not whether should rely on libltdl, it is
> > whether we should distribute libltdl and automatically install it when
> > needed.  That is, should Guile say "You don't seem to have libltdl, I
> > will quietly install it for you." or should it say loudly "You don't
> > seem to have libltdl, please install it, for example from ..."?
>
> The "for example from" clause would make the failure much more palatable
> than the straight up obtuse failures from other packages.  I would still
> _prefer_ to see either an "I've installed it for you" message, or even
> a "I cannot install Guile unless you let me install libltdl with an
> ``--enable-libltdl-install'' configure option".  Telling me to go off and
> fetch a package at some well-known location is "okay."
>
> Since you are not proposing to fail the configure and leave no clues,
> in the end I am okay with whatever you want to do :).

Hmm, from two other often-used libraries: both expat and neon seem to be
libraries used by many OSS projects. Many seem to distrubute their own version
of these libraries but give the user a chance to use the system installed
versions
(by means of a configuration option '--with-local-expat' or the like). Same goes
for the Boehm garbage collector ...
Can't guile distribute libltdl but only use it iff there's no local version
found
(or if the user states her intention by configure magic)?

 cheers Ralf Mattes