Re: [ntp:hackers/Guile devel] ntp-dev changes

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: [ntp:hackers/Guile devel] ntp-dev changes
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:40:37 -0700

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think GCC-4 is
still too green for industrial use.  Have you a GCC-3.x handy?

Reg Clemens wrote:
Hi Harlan, Reg, NTP developers (via relay) & Guile developers:

This is a problem.  I (almost) only ever use pre-built Guile
packages and let others struggle with the porting issue.
Occasionally, I do build it just to verify that current
versions haven't wiggled too much for AutoGen to operate,
but otherwise, no.

So, Reg, can you please tell us all the platform and compiler
you used that triggered the Guile build failure?

I tried building guile-1.6.7
from the gnu site.
Not knowing anything about the options available, I did a straight
    ./configure
    make
The configure runs with no errors, but the make terminates with

---

guile.c: In function 'main':
guile.c:91: error: array type has incomplete element type
guile.c:91: warning: unused variable 'lt_preloaded_symbols'
make[2]: *** [guile.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/home/reg/Source/System/Autogen/guile-1.6.7/libguile'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/home/reg/Source/System/Autogen/guile-1.6.7'
make: *** [all] Error 2

---

This is on Linux Fedora4, with gcc-4.0.2-8.fc4

am I missing something?
I looked arround, and didnt see a prebuilt package anywhere.

I Googled for ``guile package|rpm redhat|fedora''.  You have to look around a
bit:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/redupdates.html
http://dir.filewatcher.com/d/Fedora/i386/Development/Languages/guile-1.6.4-14.i386.rpm.763778.html