Re: Text collation

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Text collation
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:20:39 +1100

> I suspect that this would be suboptimal.  SRFI-19 has its own template
> format for `date->string', and internally it uses primitives equivalent
> to `nl_langinfo (DAY_1)' and the likes (the `priv:locale' functions).

No need to worry about the existing internals.  strftime may be
necessary (at some level) on systems with only localeconv (ie. not
nl_langinfo), though I don't know how common that would be or if it's
worth taking trouble over.

> I don't clearly understand.  Could you provide more details for the
> novice (perhaps in another thread)?  :-)

The note in the manual:

        *Caution*: The current code in this module incorrectly extends
        the Gregorian calendar leap year rule back prior to the
        introduction of those reforms in 1582 (or the appropriate year
        in various countries).  The Julian calendar was used prior to
        1582, and there were 10 days skipped for the reform, but the
        code doesn't implement that.

So for instance the year 1500 should be a leap year, but isn't in the
current code.  (If I've got that right off the top of my head ... :-)