Re: Text collation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Text collation
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:41:25 +0100

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

>> So, do you think we should rename them to `strto{d,l}' or documenting
>> this dependence is enough?
>
> Number parsing on the whole always seems very application-specific to
> me.  I don't think I've ever seen a style that could recommended
> whole-heartedly for all user input :-(.

Right.

> I'd think about something modest like a string->number that stripped
> thousands seps and transformed the decimal point (if necessary).  I
> think that'd find a use.

Sure.

>> Hmm, I thought `unresolved' was for cases where a test cannot be run for
>> some reason.  See, e.g., `guardians.test',
>
> Not sure about those, were they actually unresolved issues for a time?

The idea (I think) is that, for instance, when SEEN-G3-GARBAGE is false,
you can't decide if that's because the guardian code is actually buggy
or if that's because the GC is somehow rightfully retaining G3.  IOW,
you can't decide whether the test case passes or not, so you throw
`unresolved'.

>> `socket.test'
>
> Hang on, that's your work isn't it! :)

Oh, right.  :-)