Re: make-vtable

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: make-vtable
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:05:30 +0100

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>> More generally, a three-level architecture like the one you suggest
>> would look fishy.  For instance, GOOPS and other CLOS derivatives have
>> <object> and <class>, representing respectively the "base" and "meta"
>> levels, but they have no need for <class-class>, <class-class-class> or
>> some such.
>
> Actually, a lot of the GOOPS doc finds it useful to talk in terms of
> three levels: object, class, and metaclass.

Right, but a "metaclass" is the class of class, i.e., a class (IOW, a
metaclass is an instance of <class> or a sub-class thereof).  So that's
really two levels.

> Also, in practice, I've done a fair amount of programming using GOOPS,
> and have found metaclass-level customization extremely useful.

I didn't mean to say it's not useful, just that it's maybe not something
one wants to know when reading about structs for the first time.

Thanks,
Ludovic.