Re: Profile of current guile HEAD

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Profile of current guile HEAD
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 10:24:27 +0200

Hey!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Some more data points. I just profiled a run of guile -c 1 from HEAD.
> This is what callgrind says about which functions are taking the most
> time:
>
> cumulative   self      total
>  percent    percent    calls    file:function
>    23.15     19.30     151231
> ports.c:scm_getc[/opt/guile-head/lib/libguile.so.18.0.0]

This one ought to be inline, it's really just a few instructions.

> I still think that the TLS patch can help with the pthread_getspecific
> stuff; I should profile with that patch. Later maybe.

Wrt. TLS: GCC's default TLS access model (called `global-dynamic')
involves one function call for each TLS access, making it comparable to
using `pthread_getspecific ()' performance-wise.  I'm investigating
whether we can rightfully use one of the faster access models.
Hopefully more to come soon!

> FWIW, here's a profile of (use-modules (oop goops)):

[...]

> Reading is still probably the highest cost here, but seeing ceval so
> high normally means that most of the time is spent in Scheme code.

We must be spending time in `(oop goops compile)' or similar?

Cheers,
Ludovic.