Re: SLIB support

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: SLIB support
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:53:27 -0700

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> I've now prepared a patch (attached) that's hopefully good enough
> for upstream use.

> +(define-module (ice-9 slib)
> +  :export (slib:load slib:load-source defmacro:load
> +        implementation-vicinity library-vicinity home-vicinity
> +        scheme-implementation-type scheme-implementation-version
> +        output-port-width output-port-height array-indexes
> +        make-random-state
> +        -1+ <? <=? =? >? >=?
> +        require slib:error slib:exit slib:warn slib:eval
> +        defmacro:eval logical:logand logical:logior logical:logxor
> +        logical:lognot logical:ash logical:logcount logical:integer-length
> +        logical:bit-extract logical:integer-expt logical:ipow-by-squaring
> +        slib:eval-load slib:tab slib:form-feed difftime offset-time
> +        software-type)
> +  :replace (provide provided?)
> +  :no-backtrace)
> +
> +
> +(load "@SLIB_LOCATION@/init/guile.init")

In the long run, or perhaps even in the short run if Aubrey Jaffer's
interested in a patch and can make a fairly quick release, I wondered
if we might want to go even further, i.e. change it so that the *only*
thing in ice-9/slib.scm is

  (load-from-path "slib/guile.init")

I suggest this in part because I believe SLIB already has code (which
might or might not need adjustment) to handle defining the module,
making the exports, etc.  It's just conditionalized on the Guile

If I recall correctly, SLIB's module related code is fairly automated
and is actually part of an implementation independent module
framework.  So the definition in ice-9/slib.scm is probably just a
duplication of effort.

Given that, it seemed like it might be better to just work with Aubrey
Jaffer to maintain all of the code in one place.

Rob Browning
rlb and; previously
GPG as of 2002-11-03 14DD 432F AE39 534D B592 F9A0 25C8 D377 8C7E 73A4