Re: Using define in multiple threads?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Using define in multiple threads?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:45:44 +0100

Hello!

On Mon 17 Nov 2008 15:57, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Linas Vepstas escreveu:
>>> Is it "safe" or "legal" to use define in multiple threads?
>
> Besides, as Linas noted, the hash table implementation isn't
> thread-safe, which makes it "unsafe" to `define' in parallel.

Ah, this is why, then. I was baffled.

IMO this is a bug; Guile can claim that "wierd behavior is expected"
when using a data structure from multiple threads in without locking,
but in this case the data structure is only being used implicitly.
Modules should contain a lock that is taken when they are mutated.

This isn't the first time I've wanted a functional hash table
implementation...

http://wingolog.org/