Fwd: Installing SLIB 3b1 with Guile 1.8.6 (to work with Gnucash 2.8.8)

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Fwd: Installing SLIB 3b1 with Guile 1.8.6 (to work with Gnucash 2.8.8) [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 07:04:08 -0600

I recently had a struggle getting slib to work with the latest guile
release (1.8.6).  I believe para. 6.1.1 of the guile reference manual
needs to be rewritten since the procedures don't seem to work as
advertised.  Following is the wording I suggest based on my experience
with guile 1.8.6 and the latest slib release (3b1):

[Note that the link to the SLIB installation is broken.]

6.1.1 SLIB installation

The following procedure works, e.g., with SLIB version 3b1 (see SLIB

  1. Unpack SLIB and install it using make install from its directory. By
     default, this will install SLIB in /usr/local/lib/slib/. Running make
     installinfo installs its documentation, by default under

  2. Create a symlink in the Guile directory to SLIB, e.g.:

               mkdir -p /usr/local/share/guile/site
               ln -s /usr/local/lib/slib /usr/local/share/guile/site/slib

  3. Use Guile to create the catalog file, e.g.,:

               # guile
               guile> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
               guile> (require 'new-catalog)
               guile> (quit)

     The catalog data should now be in /usr/local/share/guile/site/slibcat.

     If instead you get an error such as:

         Unbound variable: scheme-implementation-type

     then a solution is to get a newer version of Guile, or to modify
ice-9/slib.scm to use define-public for the offending variables.

  4. Test the installation by executing the following at the command line:

               guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'printf)"

Notice that the instructions for setting environment variables, for
some reason, did not work for me.  I have seen several other threads
from other folks who have had the same experience, i.e., environment
variables not working.

Notice also that the directory /usr/local/share/guile/site was not
produced during the guile installation, and putting the slib directory
under /usr/local/share/guile/1.8 didn't work either.

I'll be happy to present this as a patch.

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida