Re: Again on Windows support (2)

From: carlo\.bramix
Subject: Re: Again on Windows support (2)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 20:55:27 +0200

Hello,
here there are the results of what I've discovered on compiling the very latest
sources of guile under mingw+msys.
I sent a message into mingw-user mailing list and I discovered that I had one
of the components of msys not up to date.
It seems you need msyscore to be at least 1.0.10 or newer.
Next I launched a very simple testapp for printing argc and argv: after the
upgrade, the problem of splitted parameter described in previous emails
disappeared when the executable is lauched with bash.
While the problem seems to be solved at msys level, the compilation of guile
still failed for the same reason: splitted parameters in MSDOS format.
I discovered that now the problem is caused by the wrapper libguile/guile.exe,
probably generated by libtool.
Instead, if I launch libguile/.lib/guile.exe, then the parameters are perfectly
acquired.
I'm using libtool 2.2.6a.
For not starting (at least not immediately!) a fight against the sources of
libtool, I just copied guile.exe and libguile-18.dll from libguile/.libs into
libguile/.
Compilation continued again, until it reached this point:

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Carlo/guile/module'
GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0 ../meta/uninstalled-env guile-tools compile -o
"ice-9/psyntax-pp.go" "../../guile-git/module/ice-9/psyntax-pp.scm"

It processed for about 20 seconds, harddisk led was flashing so I guess it was
working, then a Windows dialogbox appeared with the message of segmentation
fault error (urgh!).
This problem needs to be investigated a bit more...

I also tried to compile an older version of guile, it's 1.8.6.
I had to re-create all scripts with autogen.sh and a newer libtool because it
gave to me some errors without sense on linking.
Next I had to hack a bit the code related to timespec structure.
During compilation I faced again the problem with "not good guile.exe wrapper"
that I bypassed by copying the true executable and its library on that point.
At the end, both "make" and "make install" were completed without any other
error (YEAH!!!).

I will report something more about the crash as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.