Re: Enormous benchmark speedup

From: Juhani Viheräkoski
Subject: Re: Enormous benchmark speedup
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 18:49:38 +0300 (EEST)

> With recent changes in guile vm there are lots on improvements on the
> Gambit benchmarks.

Improvements compared to what?

I should have been more concise.. I have run these benchmarks against guile HEAD for some time (after I reported a few bugs, performance regressions included, affecting the benchmark suite I have done this every once in a while to get some additional test coverage) and now I had something to report. Guile I compared to is a git version before vector instructions were added to VM. Guile is now a little bit slower generally, but significantly faster in many real-world benchmarks using vectors.

> but there are huge wins in testcases involving vectors offsetting
> this.

Oh, that's cool, but it feels like we're slightly cheating on these.
;-)

Well it seems to be a good cheat then :)

This is not tail-recursive (because of the nested `ack' call in the
`else' clause), which is why it can lead to a stack overflow.

I understand that, but I reported this because interpreter (both 1.8.6 and 1.9.0) run this test successfully but VM does not. Probably real-world programs don't have so deep a recursion, although they might when run with complex data..

Thanks for your reply,

Juhani Viheräoski