Re: Build failure on master

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Build failure on master
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:21:10 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> ERROR: In procedure make_objcode_by_mmap:
>>> ERROR: bad header on object file: "GOOF-0.5"
>>
>> Make sure to remove all `.go' files from your source tree and from the
>> cache (either `~/.guile-ccache' or `~/.cache/guile/ccache').  Then
>> hopefully you'll be able to compile Guile.
>
> Surely the point of having a version number on the object file format
> would be to actually take notice of it, and to change the number when
> we make format changes...?
>
> (I'm assuming that this problem was caused by a format change...)

Yes.

Currently, the code just checks for the magic cookie (see
`make_objcode_by_mmap ()'), and if it differs, e.g., because the version
isn't right, it just bails out.

Eventually, maybe it could handle this gracefully.  For instance, if
said object file is from the cache, then it could just recompile and
overwrite it with a new object file.

Then it could also try to interpret version numbers and determine
whether that bytecode is really incompatible, or whether it can
interpret it.

Thanks,
Ludo'.