Re: Quasisyntax broken?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Quasisyntax broken?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:06:04 +0200

Hi,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hm. I have no idea what this means for Guile. It seems we need either a
> disclaimer or an assignment.

My understanding is that it's OK if we have bits of code not copyright
FSF, if there's a good reason to do so (and there is one, here).

After some reading, I see this (info "(maintain) Copying from Other
Packages"):

     When you are copying code for which we do not already have papers,
  you need to get papers for it.  It may be difficult to get the papers
  if the code was not written as a contribution to your package, but
  that doesn't mean it is ok to do without them.  If you cannot get
  papers for the code, you can only use it as an external library (*note
  External Libraries::).

But later on (info "(maintain) External Libraries") basically says that
it's easy to incorporate free third-party code like this.

At any rate we already have precedents for this (`psyntax' and `match')
so I'm not worried.  Maybe we can ask Karl Berry and RMS just to make
sure.

(Note that the so-called "GNU" Bazaar doesn't have a single line
copyright FSF.)

Thanks,
Ludo'.