Re: i guess we're frozen & stuff

From: Juhani Viheräkoski
Subject: Re: i guess we're frozen & stuff
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:46:33 +0300 (EEST)

For me the build of the current master fails with:

libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DBUILDING_LIBGUILE=1 -I.. -I.. -I../lib -I../lib -pthread -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror -fvisibility=hidden -O3 -g -march=athlon-xp -MT libguile_la-strings.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libguile_la-strings.Tpo -c strings.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libguile_la-strings.o
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
strings.c: In function ‘scm_string_append’:
strings.c:1300: error: ‘data’ may be used uninitialized in this function
make[3]: *** [libguile_la-strings.lo] Error 1

It is easy to disable -Werror or set the offending variable to NULL, but with my limited knowledge of Guile internals it seems that this uninitialized pointer is indeed passed to scm_i_make_string or scm_i_make_wide_string which do not seem to reserve space for it and even dereference the pointer. Might be just me, but it seems there is something weird going on here..